Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Plans!

Eek - how the time flies while your blog sits waiting patiently without a whimper or whine! 

Thanksgiving was very enjoyable for us (as it has been for the last 8 years) at the Triangle Vegetarian Society's annual Vegan Feast.  It was just dreamy. I especially enjoyed the braised greens, garlic mashed potatoes with porcini gravy and apple-pecan stuffing. And the desserts... Wow.

Between Thanksgiving and Christmas, I *try* to eat a little lighter to make up for the binging and the extra desserts. One of the best ways I have found to do this is with soups!  They are warming and filling and can be made very nutritiously with a moderate amount of calories.

Last night I made a vegetable soup after making my own vegetable stock. It's so easy and you can make it from all the scraps of onion, celery, carrots, parsnips, garlic, etc that you would have discarded from earlier dishes. Just throw those into a container in the freezer labelled "STOCK". Thaw it overnight in the fridge and stock is at your fingertips!  And we still compost all the scraps after making the stock!  Love it. :)

Anyway, last night's soup had potatoes, green beans, corn, tomatoes, pinto beans... I think next time I'll add some barley to make it a tad heartier.

Also up this week is gumbo - another favorite with loads of flavor and moderate calories!  I love the Vegan Planet version. And sometimes we have leftover tofurky sausage to throw in. We also have some cornbread we'll finish off with it!

Upcoming are some Xmas parties that will make eating vegan a challenge.  And a holiday trip to upstate NY to see the MIL. I will try to think of some easy recipes to make up there and share with the family!

Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment